[LI] ee <-->xv

I have used

	exec xv -root -max -quit somepicture.jpg &

in my .fvwmrc to get a background image on my X terminal. It works fine
in Redhat5.2.

Now I want to do the same in Redhat 6.0 but it does not have xv, instead
it has ee.

I have some machines in my lab running 5.2 and some running 6.0. So on the
machines running 6.0 this fails and I get the drab gray background.
Now my problem is in .fvwmrc how does one find out if the machine is
running 5.2 or 6.0 and invoke ee or xv accordingly?

I do not administer my lab and hence pl. don't ask me to install xv on
machines running 6.0 :-)

My local Linux Guru replied cryptically, as all Gurus do :-(

<snip>

In redhat machines, there is a file
called /etc/redhat-release which tells you something like
                        Redhat <version>  ( <nickname> )

Use that appropriately to find out.
<snip>

Now the question is How ?????