[LI] Problem with gnome.

I have got a Celeron 266, S3 trio, 64 ram, 120 swap, 8 Gb with 2 Gb for
linux where I have done a full text based custom re-install of pcq rh 6.1. I
have a xserver working at 1024x768, my yamaha OPL3 Sax is identified.

The problem is that when I fire up X, it takes a very long time to come up,
the keyboard and mouse are sluggish to the extent of almost not responding
at all.

The mouse moves perfectly well till the Gnome & RedHat splash screen, when
that screen gives way to the grey screen, the mouse stops responding.
Gnome takes a very long time to load up and finally when several windows
open up (with the legend in the title bar coming on a letter at a time; the
words Gnome help browser took about 50 seconds to spell out).

The topmost window has the following message:
Panel.
No response to save yourself command.
The program may be slow, stopped or broken.
You may wait for it to respond or remove it.

another box I sometimes get gives the same message with a title of
Screensaver - properties - capplet.

As I have written earlier, when I finally manage to quit the X server I get
the following messages:

Xlib: Client is not authorised to connect to Server.      # what authority?
I ran startx as root.#

xscreensaver:    can't open display:  :0
xscreensaver:    initial effectic uid/gid was root (0/0)
xscreensaver:    running as nobody/nobody (99/99)

xscreensaver:    Errors at startup are usually authorisation problems.

S3VGEReset called from s3v_accel.c    line 299.

Somebody please help.

thanx,

Sharukh.