Re: [LI] Recompiles anyone?

Hi,
   I recompile most of my kernels with optimization options, ie.
CC=egcs {used to be pgcc, but lost pgcc in an HD crash}, and
CFLAGS="-O6 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -mpentium". The
difference in power/performance is difficult to measure, coz I lack
the benchmarking utils. But, this I can say: My computer(P120MHz,16MB)
gets a faster net. connection than my neighbouring computer(P233MHz,
32MB) in the computer lab. Also, general performance is better.
Most programs I d/l as source, compile (with optimization, of-course,
I just export CC and CFLAGS as above before running configure).
       Optimization works great with C programs coz. its high level
and gcc knows its job. When it comes to assembly, there isnt much
you can do(No optimization options for as or as86 that I know). You
might have to go in for changing the source, algo. optimization,
instruction pairing etc. to get the extra speed, where the labour
involved is not often worth it.
       My computer has kernel, SVGAlib, zgv, bzip2, ircd, nmap, hunt,
gpm, irqtune, mpeg_play, and a bunch of games all compiled from
source with optimizations and its great fun. The largest speed
differences come in the games ;) and the other graphics stuff.
      Therefore, advantages: speed/performance, more choice over
 features(you can selectively enable or disable features when running
configure), good documentation, improved social status etc..
      Disadvantages : More to download, compiling can be a pain if
the scripts dont work properly (you sometimes have to fool around
with header files if you upgraded your kernel and the program was
meant for another one), hard-disk space etc...
          If you have the time and patience, recompiling is the way
to go..
         BTW, did I tell you that my Ethernet driver(ne2k-pci) is
upgraded and pentium optimized.. ;P

Bye,
--vml,
Model Engg. College, Cochin