Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 13:38:28 +0530 (IST)
From: "Rajeev B.S.Rao" <rajeevr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LI] Linux Virus scanners.

Hello,
   With all these mails about viruses I couldn't help asking these
questions.
1) Can a linux virus scanner be coded to scan for virus of other
operating
system, ("Windows, prime example).

2) A long time ago, I had queried about linux viruses and the danger of
open source code. In essence, the answer was that viruses are created,
as
an answer to Microsoft's closed source, and other security policies, ie
vengence. And even if
a linux virus was created, it would be easy to track and remove.

But virus's need not be the couse an effect of sadistic minds, to
paranoid
person like myself, a virus could be created, as a matter of greed. I.E
bypass security and restrictions, for economical gain. Hence I
re-iterate,
that if linux, has to be used in situations where security is essential,

like banks, companies, (or even lists) the modules for security cannot
be
designed, and then have it's source exposed for all to see. Any comments

on this? Or has the open source policy been changed, since the last time
read abbout it?

B.T.W one of the recent pcqs, had an article on windows 2000 passwords.
could you in a later issue, provide an article on password-shadowing
systems, used in linux/ unix.

Rajeev