Re: Re: [LI] spamcop / Saraswati - from Dinesh Shah

Shanker:

> From: Shanker R Swaminathan <CseWhiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: linux-india@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Re: [LI] spamcop / Saraswati - from Dinesh Shah
> Date: Saturday, November 13, 1999 8:39 PM
>
> Thanks for the pointers. But how do you discourage e-mail sent from public
> sites . The mail which started all this was from Bluemountain , which is a
> free e-greeting service. NO header etc from the person sending the mail
> would ever be sent.

A very active listadmin busy with taboo-header/taboo-body settings and filtering scripts ;)

> what do you do in such cases. ( for spam hitting personal mailboxes)

procmail....filter out the junk... yes, you have to be fairly active. Of course it will be good if some of the
addresses can be blocked at service provider level.

> The time has come , i think, for Linux -India to become a closed list.

There are pros and cons related to having a members-only posting policy... the first thing that comes to my mind is
that there will always be some members who will post from addresses they didn't subscribe from....result --> the
listadmin has to "Approve" these bounced messages before they can be posted to the list...in other words ... more admin
overheads. Besides the very nature of the Linux-India list suggests that going in for a members-only posting policy
wouldn't be proper. Also it has already been pointed out that most of the junk, off-topic postings come from members on
the list as opposed to recognised spam address....and there is no way a members-only policy is going to protect us from
"the enemy within" ;-) But IMHO, we do need a bit of spam-policing on the list.

> Perhaps an automated script to check out that the sender is a member of this
> list would help ?

You don't need any extra script for that ...Majordomo provides that as one of the config options....

> can be nipped in the bud. I think most of the city chapters maintain closed
> lists (My list - Ilug-cal does)

The two don't quite compare.... ILUG-Cal list has 75+ members whereas Linux-India is 500+... the logistics involved in
policing for spam are different by several orders of magnitude.

--Indra.

Indian Linux User Group -- CALCUTTA Chapter