From: Amit <adev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <linux-india@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 1999 12:16 PM
Subject: [LI] Does Linux need a filesystem ?

> Dear friends,
> I am a linux user for quite some time and it is only recently that I
noticed an undelievable thing about Linux.
> Well I had some documents in my system which I decided to store in a
separate partition in my disk just for safety's sake.So I fired
> up fdisk, created a new partition with id-83 (Linux), and moved all my
docs there.
> Then the problems started - I tried to mount it but failed
miserably.Anyway I did mount it with a rather naive command.After that I
> was using that partition naturally for some days.Once I tried to run fsck
on that drive and it greeted me with an error message which made me realize
that I
> had  NOT CREATED A FILESYSTEM  on that drive.
> Can anyone out there suggest a reason on how this could have happened ? Is
it a feature of Linux - I don't think you can use a drive