Re: [LI] StarOffice 5.0 customer number & registration key

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, Rajesh Fowkar wrote:

> 	HELLO SUDHIR,
>
> WHY ARE YOU PUTTING VIRUS ON THE LIST. I AM USING LINUX HENCE THIS
> WORM WILL NOT AFFECT ME. BUT DON'T TRY TO INDULGE IN SUCH ACTIVITIES IN FUTURE.

Attention all:

I am going to arbitrarily propose, second and pass the following
resolution:

ListAdmins are capable of handling *any* kind of censuring that may be
required. Therefore list members will concentrate on discussions about
Linux in this list, and will leave administrative matters (including
"yelling" at someone) to the ListAdmins. In case something slips past the
ListAdmins, write to them privately - do not use the List as a public
toilet.

All members will henceforward be required to read *all* messages received
before replying to any. This will ensure that you get to read any messages
already posted on the given subject before you let loose. In this case,
Sudhir was *not* to blame for the problem since he was not using his own
machine, and has posted a message to this effect.

While this list is most democratic in nature, please note that that even
in a democracy, there is a difference between an appointed policeman
shooting an offender and a normal citizen. The policeman, who has been
appointed by the citizens, has a right to do so, the citizens do not.

All members will be required to hand in their "holier than thou" halos at
the door before entering the premises. This is a Linux list. If you use
Linux, then you can also use procmail to filter out messages containg
offending stuff (like viruses) the way I and many others do. If you
actually get to see a message with a virus in it, you are either running a
non-Linux compliant OS, or haven't bothered to configure protection of
this sort. In either case, you are at fault.

Atul Chitnis
Self-appointed DayTime (IST) Listadmin, Linux India, and someone deeply
offended by the nature of some of the messages and attitudes he has to see
on a list dealing with his favourite OS.

"Dog poo-poo on the road, that's natural. You step in it, that's stupid."
                                -- AC