Re: [LI] Kernel Panic !!!

Hi

*** This is a possibility just check that this is not your problem. ***

a) The Harddisk device drivers in 2.0.36 (RedHat 5.2) if I am not wrong don't
use the UDMA feature even if your BIOS and Harddisk support it. But the 2.2.X
kernels have support for it.

b) If you have a Seagate UDMA harddisk and Your system Bus speed is non
standard i.e (75 or 83 or so For AMD or CYRIX chips or so and NOT 66) or even
if you have overclocked them then writing to such a Harddisk with UDMA enabled
can be a disaster. Normally Win95 and even Win98 if I am not wrong by default
don't come with UDMA enabled drivers so you won't face this problem there but
in linux distributions having 2.2.x kernel you can face this problem.

	In General UDMA enabled harddisks can be unpredictable at NON STANDARD
BUS SPEEDS. However I have personaly found this problem with only the Seagate
HDD and not Quantum or WesternDigital ones.

So check your BIOS see if you have UDMA enabled if so DISABLE it and then try
installing RedHat 6.1.

I had a similar problem with my overclocked AMD 266 (at 300) and a Seagate 6GB
HDD, when trying to upgrade my kernel to 2.1.x  and later 2.2 kernel. I
finaly idenfified the problem to UDMA and Overclocking. So currently I have
reset the clocking and multiplier setting for 266 in this system.