Re: [LI] problem while booting RHL6.0

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999 misopr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (vidyesh) wrote:

> /dev/hda1   was not cleanly unmounted, check forced

Must be because you had a power failure (most likely) when you weren't at
the keyboard. Or something else must have happened.. *shrug*

> *** An error occured during the file system check.
> *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
> *** when you leave the shell.
> Give a password for maintenance
> ( or type  Control-D for normal startup ):

  I dont quite remember seeing this password stuff...but yeah .. ^D _will_
take you to reboot (obviously) .... What I would advise is... at the LILO
boot: prompt , hit 'linux single' without the 's and after you get to the
bash# prompt .... type this

bash# e2fsck /dev/hda1

and it should then ask you half a million questions if you are sure you
want to delete some inode and do some other funky stuff - dont ask me what
they mean...I dont know. I'm still new too ... but I just know very
crudely that this will get your box back up in action because what you
described happened to me too...precisely the same thing infact. ( Because
the dratted power failed while I was working on the box ).
Anyway. .. keep hitting 'y' and it should do some funky stuff and finally
land you at the prompt.... do a /sbin/reboot and try a normal boot and it
should _now_ not find any errors/mistakes.
If what I said doesnt work ... some guru will have to help you out ;)

just one word of caution ... do _not_ run e2fsck when your drive is
mounted...it could destroy your hdd.... you need to use fsck then.

but when you go into linux single user mode... it doesnt mount your drive
(i think).

if any of the info is incorrect... ( likely too ;-)  ... well dont hurl
brickbats at me ...but read some manual or howto's etc..

g'luck

- ravi.