Re: [LI] Problem With SVGA

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Rajesh Fowkar wrote:

> There is some problem with SVGA server distributed with PCQ CD.

Interesting analysis. Since my server here runs RHL 6.1pcq - installed off
the November CD (taken from the magazine, not from a master disk here),
and has a SiS 6215c card with 2 MB in it - I really wonder how one can
arrive at that conclusion?

The CD contains XFree86 3.3.5, used by a gazillion people planet-wide
(reports from Mars and Jupiter take a while to get here), and while I have
seen complaints about some other aspects of RHL 6.1, no one has complained
about the XFree86 server.

Oh, and this message comes to you from a PIII-450 with a Matrox Millennium
G200 card in it - freshly installed on the 7th of November off my
subscription copy of PCQ November 99's CD.

Chip's CD has XFree86 3.3.1 on it. A quick look at the changelog on the
XFRee86 web site will tell you that there have been some humongous changes
in this version, and that it would be a *really* bad idea to mix versions
this way.

While I admit that we didn't spend as much time with RHL 6.1 as we would
have liked to with a PCQ CD, XFree86 3.3.5 has been out since July and I
myself have been using it since then. No problem there.

May I humbly suggest that the problem could be elsewhere and that we
should look for the *real* solution?

Atul