Re: [LI] Time lapse in X.

"Dr. Sharukh K. R. Pavri." proclaimed:
> I fired up X but it took 18 yes 18 mins for the Xterm to come up but the
> cursor did not flash at all. Finally after waiting for the cursor for
> another 15 mins, I had to use the reset switch.

So it looks like it is taking ages for X to come up.  What I'd suggest at
this stage is:

1. Start X and when it is starting switch to another virtual console
(CTRL-ALT-F2, say), login and run top to see which application is taking up
the maximum CPU and memory.

2. strace X as Arun suggested.

3. Also view the contents of .xsession-errors from a virtual console (tail
-f ~/.xsession-errors)

> On rebooting, Fsck always gives the following msg:
> Deleted inode 21614 has zero dtime: FIXED.

This is normal for forced resets.

> I ran top from the CLI but honestly it makes no sense b'cos it shows unused
> memory and swap.

Yes.  But you ran it without trying to start X.  So your top output does
not show why X was taking so long.

Thaths
--
"Ah... the morning horoscope. 'Today will be a day like every other day.'"
                      -- Homer J. Simpson