Re: [LI] Problem with Squid when downloading mails from pop3 server.

Hi

Squid is a Proxy server for HTTP and it also supports FTP through a helper
application. It won't allow people in your internal  network to access any
other IP based services.

If you want a controlled way of allowing m/c's from your internal network
access m/c's on the internet  with out providing valid IP , then I would
suggest using

  a) IP MASQUARADING on the gateway to allow your local network m/cs to access
the Internet in a somewhat secure way.

  b) Use IP Chains to do packet filtering. And also to reroute all HTTP & FTP
requests to SQUID and use SQUIDs Filtering and Logging features to better
manage these services.

There are howto's on both IPMasquarading and IPChains to give more info on
these subjects.

If there are any errors in what I have said above please do correct me.

--
Keep :-)
HanishKVC