Re: [LI] FTP restrictions...

Sunit Mathur proclaimed:
> I want to set up a FTP server with no anonymous access.

Don't have an entry for user 'ftp' in /etc/passwd.

> I want to give FTP access to a particular user and deny telnet access
> to the same.

Make the shell of the user (the last entry in the /etc/passwd file) point
to /bin/false  and make sure that /bin/false is listed in /etc/shells.

> The user should be only log in thru FTP and should not be able to browse thru
> the other directories except the home directory .

The home directory entry for the user (ie. the 6th entry.  The one just
before the shell)  should have an entry like '/home/user_name/./'  (Without
the quotes, of course.  NOTE the dot) instead of the customary
/home/user_name/

Thaths
--
"Now, what is a wedding? Well, Webster's Dictionary describes a wedding
       as, 'The process of removing weeds from one's garden.'"