Re: Re: [LI] How to uninstall applications?

Jeff

> rm -rf??  What does the -rf option mean? I mean could you give the
> whole sysntax. And the apps that are mentioned below are those which

Try typing man rm before this.  One of the basic commands.

rm = remove (sorta like del in DOS)

-r = Recursive (all subdirectories under the directory to be deleted
also go)

-f = Force (or else Linux will ask "delete this? y/n" everytime)

so - # rm -rf /usr/home/junk-files and kiss all those files goodbye.

Use with extreme care - files deleted in Unix can't be restored.  So,
check exactly ~where~ you are (use the pwd command) before
trying this.  I've known more than one poor soul who typed rm -rf
when logged in as root.

> had their own install scripts or I had to do a make install. So how do
> I remove them?

Each package has an uninstal utility.  Make generally compiles a lot
of files.  MAN is a great tool - and they do say Read The Fu*****
Manual.  Pretty good advice actually :-)

---s

Suresh Ramasubramanian
106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
Suresh@xxxxxxxxxxx | Suresh@xxxxxxxx
http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
    I spent a lot of money on wine and women,
    and like a fool I squandered the rest.