Re: [LI] setup internet connection in KDE

The same question i am asking for 2 days now and some of my mails have even
not been published here i dont know why? there is some filtering done or so
for repeted types of mails

As far as i have concluded after working on this problem for last two days
it's some error in the script and it's authenticating you as PAP or CHAP way
but vsnl and mtnl gives support for script based and shell based
authentication.

The thing we have to do here is somehow tell the pppd deamon not to
authenticate the PAP or CHAP way. Because

When you call your ISP, you need to authenticate your computer-system. For
this purpose the ISP could ask you to simply send your username/password in
plaintext. Because this technique is insecure, there are more secure
protocols as PAP and CHAP. These protocols allow the ISP to authenticate you
and you to authenticate your ISP. If you use PAP, you can skip the ISP
authentication, CHAP does require it.

All PAP/CHAP information is stored in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and
/etc/ppp/chap-secrets. The pap-secrets file looks like this:

# Secrets for authentication using PAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
bganslan        *       tuxrulez

This sets your username to "bganslan" (Use the same as for PAPNAME), and
your password to "tuxrulez". The wild card (*) tells pppd to use this
password on ANY server. This is the easiest way, because some ISPs use
different servers for one dial in number. The IP addresses field is
optional, it forces the ISP to assign a certain IP address to your computer.
For security reasons, this won't work in most cases.
The chap-secrets file looks similar:

# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client        server          secret          acceptable local IP
addresses
bganslan        pppserver       tuxrulez

The main difference is, that you need to know the servername in order to
connect to your ISP.
To keep the secrets secret, set the owner of these to files to root (chown
root:root pap-secrets chap-secrets) and set the mode to -rw------- (chmod
600 pap-secrets chap-secrets).

Satyam gives PAP
and VSNL and MTNL does not

THE PROBLEM WHICH IS COMING IS LIKE THIS IS'NT IT

The remote system is required to authenticate itself but
I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.