[LI] [Fwd: GNOME / X]

Earlier I had come up with a problem....

While trying to start X (RH6.0, GNOME) as non-priviledged user, I get a
warning in a window which says,
"Could not look up internet address for localhost.localdomain.
  This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly. It may be possible
to correct the problem by adding localhost.localdomain to the file
/etc/hosts."

Try Again || Continue

Continue=> proceeds to load GNOME .. apparently OK
Try Again => no avail.

In the console (stdout/err) I get a message saying
"**WARNING**:Host name lookup failure on localhost"

My /etc/hosts reads.. just 1 line
<snip->
127.0.0.1    localhost    localhost.localdomain
<--snip>

I do not have any problems starting X / running  networked apps as root.

I do not have problems using loopbck as user, too.

$hostname
localhost.localdomain

Regards
Shourya
The solution :
Some goddamned nitwit , most probably the only person who has access to
my
box changed the perms of /etc/host to rw-------, for some obscure
reason.

The perm has been changed appropriately and GNOME no longer groans.

Moral of the story :
	All assumptions are incorrect. this is particularly true of
obvious assumptions.

Happy Dewali..
Turn on the fireworks screensaver..
Save the environment ;)
Shourya

Shourya Sarcar
Student
Jadavpur University
Calcutta, India 700 032

Email   : sarcar@xxxxxxxx
Tel     : 91-033-471 0477
Address : 364/3 Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Road
          Calcutta , India 700 047