[LI] Upgrading from 6.0

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Raj Mathur wrote:

> BTW, did anyone have any issues with upgrading from Chip 6.0 to PCQ
> 6.1?  I'm going to try it on a live system, and basically want to know
> if anyone's upgrade screwed up to the point where the system became
> unusable or they lost data.

There should be no problem as such, but a word of warning:

CHIP had removed several packages from their distro. RHL's upgrade process
is a bit stupid - it will upgrade installed packages and any packages that
depend on those, but not packages that were not installed in first place.
For example, the CHIP CD did not include the compatibility libs - this
causes many packages that were developed under RHL 5.2 to die. Because
these libs aren't installed in first place, the upgrade to 6.1 won't
install them either.

The work-around is, of course, to install critical packages additionally
after the upgrade. Naturally, it means that you will nee to identify them
first. ;-)

Atul