[LI] Online Shopping

Anand Singh Bisen's question:

ate: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 23:33:34 +0530
From: Anand Singh Bisen <anand.bisen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LI] Online shopping

Hello

    Is it possible to purchase computer periperals online from a site in

US or outside india. I wanted to buy Voodoo3 3500TV AGP from Amazon.com
and now i have a doubt that will it come to me or the postal service
will keep it and ask me to go to Bombay top pay the duty and all.

    Please help me out.

    Anand Singh Bisen

Anand,

Any goods imported into India are liable to Customs duty.  If you import
them by courier, as would be the case for small consignments, your
courier charges would be a couple of thousand rupees at least, plus
Customs duties of over 40% of the value of the the goods + freight +
insurance (frt. and ins. subject to a maximum of 21.125% of the value of
the goods shipped).  In addition, if the goods are PCBs without any
cabinets or casing, you will have to produce an Import Licence
purchaseable from the market at about 3% of the CIF value of the
imported goods.

Generally, IMHO, the hassles far outweigh the advantages; you'd probably
be better off buying the same stuff locally from the grey market; it
would be cheaper and definitely much easier.

Regards,

S. Krishnan