Re: [LI] IT.COM News

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Gandalf Mithrandir wrote:

> To wrap up things, one more event. After the exhibition hours (after 7), the
> volunteers decided to do some more testing(!) as the senior folks looked on
> indulgently (we all hope!).  Well, this stress test was for heavy duty
> network combined with intensive graphics work in Linux. The systems, Linux,
> X, Sound, everything worked amazingly. Does the word Death-Match give you
> any clues on the testing? ;-)))))

"Indulgently"???? As of tomorrow, this is going to be part of the
mainstream demos during prime time - should be fun to see all the 25
systems in the stall getting into the game! ;-)

On another note - I am sorry about the lack of news from our side about
the show, but we are knackered! On the first time, 35,000 people went
through the exhibition, and from the looks of it, the Linux Pavilion
easily got the lion's share of the crowd!

I have some amazing snaps showing our poor "little" 144 sqare meter stall
jammed to absolute capacity with people - at one point I found myself
*outside* the stall, wondering how I was supposed to get in!

Day two gave no relief, if it all possible, the numbers went up.

But today was probably some kind of record - we were so completely flooded
that everyone at the stall was handling dozens of people at the same time
from 9:30am to 7:00pm! Most of us ate lunch at 4:00pm!

OK, I need one more volunteer - a reporter. Should have thought of this
one before -can *anyone* with writing experience please act as the
official LI chronicler for the exhibition, to write about what we have,
what we do, what's happening, etc? Contact me at the stall - I have some
200 photos to help you along!

Atul