[LI] IT.COM News

Dear Folks,

I thot that I'd add some pointers on IT.COM. Well, to put it across in a
nutshell - IT.COM is huge! The people, the Linux pavilion, the distances (to
and fro and even within the place) is really a couple of magnitudes from the
previous version. Atleast in terms of organization and setting up, the
people behind it seem to know what they are doing.

As for the Linux pavilion itself - some interesting stuff - one `gentleman'
walked up to the iMac demo and claimed that Linux would slow (!) ,
deteriorate in performance (!!) and crash under a heavy (!! defined with
respect to.....!) network load. Up to the challenge, some of the folks at
the demo and additional machines set up a ping storm and nearly drowned the
iMac, with no loss in the fluidity or the quality of the Mp3 it was playing
- good fun, eh?

Another interesting place is the Vmware demo, where everyone comes to see
"it" ;-) running on a Linux box as a normal app, without any partitions or
anyother work. It's interesting to note that however, we most tend to
minimize it somewhere(!) and forget about it - nice thought ? On the first
day, some guys also managed to get the blue screen of death (honest the real
thing!, not the screensaver) as an app on Linux - interesting?

To note, SIS 6215C is still around. People still ask us, with the standard
response being that RH6.1 has solved it. Err, well we thought so. Only to
find out a day later with irate people waving RH6.1 CD's in our face,
telling us that it's unsupported and nothing WORKED. Well, further work
revealed that the PCQ RH6.1 works - all the SIS 6215C folks out there -
please take note ( finally, ^@!% to you - not an abuse it's just 6125 with
shift pressed!)

To wrap up things, one more event. After the exhibition hours (after 7), the
volunteers decided to do some more testing(!) as the senior folks looked on
indulgently (we all hope!).  Well, this stress test was for heavy duty
network combined with intensive graphics work in Linux. The systems, Linux,
X, Sound, everything worked amazingly. Does the word Death-Match give you
any clues on the testing? ;-)))))

May the source be with all of us.

ReSourcefully,

    Gandalf Mithrandir   /* "Mobilis in mobile." */   gandalf@xxxxxxxxx
/*   Any Sufficiently Advanced Operating System is indistinguishable from Linux   */
// Do not meddle with SysAds for they are quick to anger and subtle in their ways //