Re: [LI] SB Live_It worked!

Prashast@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Dear Anand,
>
>         All sound cards have a small amplifier on board that outputs in the
> range of ~10 watts. The reason for putting this amount of power on the card
> is to allow for the use of unpowered speakers.

Newer PCI sound cards seem to come without on-board amps.

Personally, I don't like external amps. Poor quality speakers
and longer cable (many times, of poor quality) to the
cheap , amplifier in the speakers can cause a lot of deterioration
in sound quality. Many powered speakers avbl in the grey
market have bad quality power supplies with little by
way of ripple filters, causing hum etc.

YMMV.

- Bhyrav Prasad