Re: [LI] connectd and roaring to go :)

hi guys,
         this was the funniest experience with modems, but a good lesson
though,
i would like to share with you all

1) i tried connecting the net using KPPP in the office it went through
in one shot, we are using dlink 56 K modem in office.
2) at home i coud't connect for at least a month , usign the same kind
of settign , no matter of how many installs and reinstalls, different
distros of linux but of no help.
3) the error it used to give was " pppd died unexpectedly " and used to
disconnect.
4)i have a Hayes accura 28.8 message modem at home , its been with me
for last 2 years :), i have used it before with linux and my systems
port is also working .

5) last night i sat on the connection problem again and just changed one
entry ie the connect speed to 34,000  viola it connected as though
nothing happened.

6) even though after connecting it gave me the following error in the
log file especially the last line which i still don't understand that.

Nov  3 01:23:57 localhost pppd[754]: pppd 2.3.7 started by root, uid 0
Nov  3 01:23:57 localhost pppd[754]: Using interface ppp0
Nov  3 01:23:57 localhost pppd[754]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
Nov  3 01:24:05 localhost pppd[754]: Remote message: Access permitted
for user "goswami@hd2"^M^JSession 991103.005419.286969 opened, user
"goswami@hd2"^M^J
Nov  3 01:24:05 localhost kernel: PPP BSD Compression module registered
Nov  3 01:24:06 localhost kernel: PPP Deflate Compression module
registered
Nov  3 01:24:06 localhost pppd[754]: local  IP address 203.197.20.150
Nov  3 01:24:06 localhost pppd[754]: remote IP address 202.54.30.51
Nov  3 01:24:09 localhost modprobe: no dependency information for
module: "/dev/ttyS1"

7) it did not work in the night also i tried pinging dns server it gave
a positive response.
8)  but once i fired my browser no data was coming , i wanted to have a
double check so i dialed from win95 even there also it did not work so i
presumed it has something to do with DOT.
9) in the morning it is working perfectly alright as though nothing has
happened.
10) feels good

the gist of the story "its never always the big things that matter"
check your modem speed first :)

thanks and regards
s.goswami