Re: [LI] mail for root

Raj Mathur wrote:

> [...]

<snip>

>     Manoj> Pine refuses to accept
>     Manoj> messages from MAILER DAEMONs. But Bash does not. Hence bash
>     Manoj> tells you you have mail, but Pine tells you no mail.
>
> Neither Pine nor bash accept mail from anyone or anything.

I guess I was not too clear. What I meant by 'accept' was "checking for
mail and alerting the user if there are messages in your mailbox." For
bash this is a simple message "You have mail".

> The mail
> is brought to your mailbox by your Mail Transfer Agent (MTA), sendmail
> by default.  After that, bash checks your mailbox at login and if the
> size is > 0 prints out the new mail message.  I don't see any reason
> why Pine should show an empty mailbox after that,

Actually Pine does *not* display messages from MAILER-DAEMON. You are
right about Bash. But pine goes a step ahead. It checks your mailbox,
examines the mail headers, and then displays mail. Since messages from
MAILER-DAEMONs (FOLDER INTERNAL DATA - DO NO DELETE) are generated by
'ipop3d' for its own private use, Pine cleverly hides that message.

The result? Bash tells that you have mail, but Pine says no mail. This
is exactly what Mr. LV Gandhi is worried about ;-)

> but you can always use elm or Mail to read your mail.

Elm does show messages from MAILER-DAEMONs ;-)

And just think of it. This mail would never have existed if 'ipop3d'
had a better design, (or RH came with 'qpopper' instead of 'ipop3d').

--
Do you support 'free software'?  Visit http://mvm.linuxbox.com

Manoj Victor Mathew  (GPG#: D96A9B9)
Model Engineering College,