Re: [LI] LUG Blr Meeting

There is something which ~can~ be done.

> The only other point - any suggestions from folks on the LI list for
> stuff to be added to the Linux and Government section. I know it's
> kinda late, but help == help always.

Most of the Govt of India servers (NIC / ERNET etc) are
standardized on old sun workstations (smi/svr4 generally) or similar
ancient versions of *Nix.  Of course, there ~are~ some old
VAX/VMS boxes around.

How do you convince them to move to Linux, and update their
infrastructure?  Most of what they use is unsupported and full of
security holes (as someone pointed out - gaining root access to
these servers is very easy, and that's what MilW0rm did to screw
BARC).

The issue is not making the Govt. migrate to Unix - it is about
helping them to update themselves.

Suggestions?

--s

Suresh Ramasubramanian
106D, Aditya Enclave, Ameerpet, Hyderabad 500038, India.
Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
Suresh@xxxxxxxxxxx | Suresh@xxxxxxxx
http://www.kcircle.com | http://www.angen.net/~pegasus/
    First snow, then silence.
    This thousand dollar screen dies