[LI] Re: installing over network

On Wed, 27 October 1999, "Aditya Deshpande" wrote:
> my pc in office does not have a cd drive. but the person sitting
> next to me has a cd drive
You could use 2 methods: (1) The RedHat CD has 2 image files for boot-floppies. Setup appropriate boot-floppies. Startup the other machine into Linux and mount the cd-drive. In the m/c to install, boot from the 2 floppies and in setup , give the IP of your neighbouring m/c (your local network should be setup). No problem once you get the connection started.
   This is an extreme method if you are not familiar with Linux. We installed two computers in our lab this way because we had to get permission to open up computer cabinets. There were errors, and we could figure out stuff only after using tcpdump and sniffers.
        (2) The second and far easier method is to open up the two cabinets, either move your hard-disk over to his or setup his cd-drive on yours, install linux and return (your HD)/(his CD drive) to the original location.

Bye,
--vml
Model Engg. College,
Cochin