[LI] About GUI's [long]

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
hullo syed ,
    i really didnt know there were 15 diff GUIs for linux. All that
i have heard of and used are anotherlevel , afterstep,
Gnome, fvwm, fvwm2 and kde. Which r the other ones ?? and can
they be used on RH. I  dont want to port myself to debian or caldera
;-)

Hi there,
The other GUI's are wm2, windowmaker, scwm, twm, enlightenment,
blackbox,
sawmill, fvwm95, olwm, wm6, icewm and more . KDE and gnome ( +
enlightenment) happen to
be the heavier ones. fvwm2, Sawmill, blackbox, wm2 are of the lightest
ones.
And they don't even clutter the desktops with unnecesary icons.
wm2 is the coolest and the lightest ( well a menu which gives you a
choice
of only xterm ;-). Well I use sawmill personally ( cause it uses gtk
widgets which can be customized and also has some light weight themes ).
And also there is icewm which is cool like ICE ;-) and looks similar to
winbloze ( light weight also and has some mail checking stuff on the
taskbar )

Other wise, me use enlightenment (0.16 ) when I want to see some fancy
stuff,
Like transparent Eterms, funky themes, some ripples and waves, funky
gimmicks
and lotsa cooooooll Stuff. No wonder I don't have a windows partition
;-)

And By the way you don't need to port to debian or caldera. They are
also
available in RPM's. Only thing is you need to search for them.
Where as in Debian, I get them in the two CD's which I get. ;-)
That is why debian has 2 CD's cause it has lotsa great stuff in them.
Am I feeling Lucky ???

Abiword for my word docs. Anyway, I want to share something with all of
you.
The other day I had to prepare my resume. So, I made an RTF file with
Abiword
and took it out so that I could get a print out at a cybercafe ( had
windoze ).
Now at the cybercafe, I made a small change and saved it back ( with
M$-Word ).
you know what ?? The size of the file had increased to more than 5
times.
The original file was 14k ( Abiword ) and the saved with M$-Word was
84K.
Now that's what I call bloatware. ;-)

Thanks for checking out this long mail. ;-)
Flame me personally at sidcarter@xxxxxxxx ;-)
For flaming set the reply address to sidcarter@xxxxxxx ;-)

Thanks
Regards