[LI] Re: [commercial]

Thaths

In fact - dump the commercial category altogether.  Every tom, dick
and harry uses this to post ads - and they are basically a huge
waste of bandwidth (besides being very irritating).

You are also inviting spammers etc to post whatever crap they have
if you leave such a loophole open (half the indian spammers are
web hosting companies - so they will just add a single line "We use
Linux Servers" and post free, full scale ads for their hosting services.

Or - you can institute a practice that any commercial mail posted to
Linux India (ie a mail from which the poster hopes to earn cash) will
be allowed only on payment of a fee, and must be approved by you
before being posted.

Or else, some people have begun to think of this list as an easy
place to post ads for free

As it is, if they paid PCQuest or Chip to put the same thing in their
mag as an ad, instead of posting it on the list, they would have to
pay several thousand rupees - so they won't be cheapskate about
paying for the privilege of getting us read their ads.  If they are not
interested, they can of course stay ON TOPIC - and non commercial.

> 2. [This one is not new.  But I am reminding people anyway.] Posts of
> a commercial nature (egs. Posts about your site which sells Linux CDs
> / books, Linux openings at your company etc.) MUST be prefixed with
> '[Commercial]' (without the quotes) in the subject line.

Suresh Ramasubramanian, CAUCE India
Suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Suresh@xxxxxxxxxxx
Stop Spam | Join CAUCE | http://www.cauce.org
Phone: +(91-40)3736553/3745398 | eFax: +(1-603)590-5437
    He who does anything BECAUSE it is the custom, makes no choice.
         -- John Stuart Mill