Re: [LI] Monitoring Serial port

Definitely! PPP itself has an inactivity timeout facility
which I tried out sometime ago. See man pppd for this.
The man page of pppd in Redhat 5.2 did not have this clearly , but
you should be able to find it in the Redhat 6.0 man page.
You will need to set this option in /etc/ppp/options , if I am
not mistaken.

If you want to turn it off at specific times, you can do it
from a cron job.

- B. Prasad