Re: [LI] Hi

Aruneesh Salhotra wrote:

> Hi
> i am new to linux newsgroup.
> i need to know, how i can configure networking on my system, and
> dial-up-networking.

Please let us know which distribution of Linux you have Installed. If you
have your X -Server running , dial-up connection is simple.
If you have K-Desktop running, look out for a kppp dial and click on it and
configure.

Ensure that you have connected the modem to the  machine.

First Check whether your modem is detected by Linux - to do so , go to the
Modem tab order and click on the query Modem.
Go to the PPP tab order and fix the Timeout option =30

In the accounts tab order do the following

1.Add a new Account Name
2. In the Dial up Setup , give the connection name say "VSNL- gateway"
3. Give the phone no of the ISP which you are going to dial
4. Choose the type of authentication from the list of option say "PAP"
5.Go to IP and make it as DYNAMIC IP
6. In the DNS entry , provide the Domain Name of your ISP Server/
7. Gateway, keep it as default gateway
8. Save the settings and provide the username /passwd in the KPPP window ,
recheck everything and start dialing.

These are Basic steps  to connect . Explore and find more ...

If you don't have X running in your machine then write a small script to
dial to the ISP. something like this.

#/bin/bash
/usr/sbin/pppd  connect ' chat -v " " ATDP123456(the dial number) CONNECT  "
"  sername:  xyx@yx  assword:  xdsd " " PPP' /dev/cua0
115200  debug  crtscts modem  defaultroute

Save this file as say connect.sh and execute.

"CONFIGURING NETWORKING ON MY SYSTEM: "

are you talking about IP address and DNS on your machine?

Regards,

Ganeshh