[LI] Problem with squid....

Hi
I am running squid on my Linux box to act as a proxy for my lan. After few
hours i get a write failed: bad FD or something to that effect error and
squid exits. This brings my entire browsing to a halt. I figured that the
problem lies in the max open inodes and files. What i'd like someone to help
me out with is how do i increase these limits? For instance, open files has
a max limit of 256 which i'd like to be at least 4096 or higher...

Thanks in advance...

Kanwar