Re: [LI] XF86_SVGA server with generic chipset

Hi,

> > ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/info/

    If you are really after VGA programming, then you must have heard of
Michael Abrash - one of the lead programmers of Quake and Quake 2. He
was(is?) a regular contributor to Dr.Dobbs Journal( www.ddj.com ) and his
articles are very sought after. All his articles are now condensed into a
book - The Graphics Programming Black Book, Coriolis Books
 www.coriolis.com ). Get it ( around Rs 495/- ) and you will have all the
documentation you will ever need to program the VGA. Absolutely brilliant
stuff and all of it is oriented toward 8088. It comes with a CD with all the
code and the entire text of the book in RTF and PDF formats. The code is
oriented toward DOS but it must be portable. It even has information on how
to write network games. But as the book itself says, DOS is dead and anybody
writing fresh programs for DOS( or linux) using 16 bit assembly is not doing
something smart. Tell me if you like the book.
    If you don't mind spending a little moolah, go to ddj's site and order a
graphics programming CD which has a few books on it( atleast 3-4) with
plenty of code.

Gautam