Re: [LI] help with plugins

I think you are going for a wrong and difficult solution. Plugins won't
solve the ISCII encoded text rendering problem. Indian Languages can be
easily displayed _now_ using DYNAMIC FONTS in all versions of current
browsers (correct me if I am wrong). This is a very good and promising
technology which should have been used more widely. Unfortunately the
technology is with Bitstream and Netscape could not release it with
Mozilla nor do we have any alternative right now (in Mozilla).

However some of the projects related with Unicode and I18N + L10N in
Linux context are promising. One is the linux-utf8 project, then there
is GScript project, i18n project at Mandrakesoft and I10N project at
Mozilla. You have your own linux-idev project at IIIT Hyd which is
trying to get an Indian version of Linux.

In this respect I would like to point out that I have been able to
customize YUDIT (the international editor) to 1] read from file (UTF8 or

8859-1 encoded) 2] accept from keyboard (straight or ISCII) 3] display
HINDI texts (iso8859-1 or iso10646-1 fonts). They are not polished yet
because of the limitations but we will reach there.
I was also working on ITRANS to UTF8 converter which I will distribute
shortly.

More details and HOWTOs in a later mail.

HTH
-swaps

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, kaushik_vedula wrote:

> Dear friends
>
> can anyone of you please send me information regarding plugins. I m
> intrested in writing plugins for the present browsers so that they
would
> support the indian languages. This i would like to do by defining a
new
> mime type and putting the action corresponing to this mime type as
indian
> languages are written in the iscii code and note ascii code.
>
> kaushik

Dear kaushik,

        If you are going to write the plugins then you can make use of
"The Linux Journal Sep-99" issue.You will find there the info you need.

        You can even refer to the netscape's website at
        http://home.netscape.com
Regards.
                                                        Jeelan Basha.