Re: [LI] RE: StarOffice and a thought

Rahul:

> I did (finally) manage to download SO from the sun sunsite ! altho' I doubt
> that it'll run on RH6.0.

AFAIK, SO 5.1 (the one you must have d/led from sun.com) is meant for glibc2.1.... the incompat issue largely existed
between SO 5.0 and glibc2.1. Talking about office suite in Linux....the makers of Abiword are planning to do something
to remedy the situation, the KOffice is already in the works, and is probably going to ship with KDE2.0 .... and there
are only going to be many more (Corel??) down the line...

> The other thing is that for Linux to be viable on the server end, we need to
> have a well-known database that is cheaper than SQL Server on NT.

The is no question of Linux to "be viable on the server end".... it already _*IS*_. If you have a problem with Oracle's
licensing or pricing, it is an issue u need to take up with Oracle, not with the developers of Linux. Most of the OSS
didn't get written because people thought they would be building a product to become rich-n-famous, it was more from
the need to "scratch-the-itch" and the other incentive as mentioned by ESR in "Homesteading on the Noosphere"...
Proprietory vendors like Oracle are supporting Linux, coz they see money to be made and they feel that in Linux they
have a worthy champion to challenge the MS juggernaut.

My Rs. 0.02 :)

--Indra.