Re: [LI] RPM's in Slackware

I am quoting verbatim  THE AUTHORITY.

FWIW, I'm not sure I fully agree with the information in RPM+Slackware.
Sure,
you can install the rpm binary on a Slackware system, but there won't be
any existing rpm database to tell rpm what is/isn't installed, so
there's
no conflict checking between the packages installed with RPM, and those
installed by Slackware.  It's real possible to destroy the entire system
if you install/uninstall RPM packages using RPM on systems where it is
not
the native package system.  On the other hand, there are much fewer
problems
with converting RPMs to .tgz packages with rpm2targz (in Slackware's
contrib directory), and then installing them with Slackware's package
management tools, like 'installpkg', 'removepkg', and 'pkgtool'.

My $0.02...

Patrick J. Volkerding
Slackware maintainer

Vijay