Re: [LI] PLIP

Hmm, PLIP stands for Parallel Line IP, and is a method of connecting 2
computers together using the parallel ports.  I'm not really an
expert, but from what I've read I gather:

- It gives decent speeds (38-40KB/s), which is not bad.

- It probably needs a kernel recompile.  The PLIP mini-HOWTO has the
details.

- It can't hook up more that two computers, unless you're willing to
go to a lot of trouble.

- It needs a special bidirectional printer cable (the Laplink cable
which I mentioned).

- It uses 4 bits... the data is sent to the status lines on the remote
side.  There's also an 8-bit version, which the author of the
mini-HOWTO is aware of but doesn't know how to use, so I didn't try it
either.  Unfortunately, from what I can gather the 4-bit and 8-bit
versions use different cables.

- It's a CPU hog (from my own experience).

The cable should be available in Nehru Place (no, I /don't/ know which
shop!) or give Amit Kalra a shout... making cables is not his primary
business, so he may or may not be willing to accomodate you.  I know
some dark secrets about him because of which I can armtwist him :-)

Hope this helps...

-- Raju