Re: [LI] PLIP

Raj Mathur wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For those of you who don't know me, I am the Original Mr Cheap Won't
> Spring Rs. 1000 For An Ethernet Hub chap.  So being short of cash (as
> usual) and wanting to hook up my 486 desktop and the notebook
> together, I decided to try PLIP, the Parallel Line IP module.
>
> I had to bug Amit Kalra for 4 days to get the appropriate cable (you
> need a special parallel cable, sometimes known as a LapLink Cable) to
> run IP over the parallel ports.  However, once Amit came out of his
> torpor and did hand the cable over, all I had to do was read the PLIP
> mini-HOWTO, follow instructions in it and try a ping.  Guess what?  It
> worked!
>
> So now I have two computers at home which can be easily networked at
> the cost of Rs. 100 (for the cable... though I haven't paid Amit yet
> :-) .  I get throughputs of about 38-40 KB/s on this link, and can
> easily use one of the boxes as a gateway to the net and masq the other
> computer through it.
>
> Cons are, my 486 is really not built to handle PLIP's overheads (PLIP
> is a CPU hog), and starts crawling whenever the PLIP link is
> saturated.  Apart from that, I'm very happy with PLIP.  Try it out if
> you're looking for a low-cost networking solution.

Well here is my 10p ( Yes I have increased my consultancy charges 5 fold
, but you can pay in 36 equal installments).
User serial port with direct cable connection and ppp link on server.
If 486 has 16880 (must be if it supports plip) chip then you can zooom
with a baud rate of 110000 (and more) and get a transfer speed more than
12 kb without loading the processor as all the dirty work is done by
16880.
The serial cable will not cost nil (you may be already having ) to Rs.
25 only.( plus my consultancy 10p)

-mukund
http://members.theglobe.com/betacomp/index.htm
http://members.xoom.com/BETACOMP/index1.htm