Re: [LI] Are there any decent E-Mail Clients available?

Anand Biligiri S forced the electrons to say:
> As far as access to the root is concerned , there is absolutely no problem
> as the only user on the system is root.I have installed and configured
> everything.

This is where you are messing up. Add a user and use that account
instead. Add another one for your friend.  Don't use the root account
for day to day activities.

> Me and my friend have a common internet account . I use a re-directing
> service at bigfoot. He has the vsnl email address . I redirect all my mails

Here two accounts for you and your friend will be a great help. If
you login, then netscape will use your name. If your friend logs in as
himself, netscape will use his name.

> When the mails are received I sort them on  the "To:"  field . If the mail
> has my bigfoot id in "To:" , it goes into my folder and if it has his id in
> the "To:"  field , it goes to his folder. Sent mails are sorted based on the

Ok, here it is.

First of all, use fetchmail to get your mail from vsnl. Create the file
/etc/fetchmail.conf and add the lines (and possibly other config options)

set daemon 300;
poll bom3.vsnl.net.in user yourname with password yourpassword is root here;

Add the line

fetchmail -f /etc/fetchmail.conf

in your ip-up script (the one pppd runs once the ppp link is up).

Add the line

fetchmail -q

in your ip-down script.

Edit the file /root/.forward and put the line

"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #root"

there. This is not really necessary since procmail is the default MDA
nowadays. If you have this, check the path to procmail and change it if
necessary.

Edit the file /root/.procmailrc and add the lines:

:0:
* ^TO) you@xxxxxxxxxxx
      ! you

:0:
    ! yourfriend

That is all there to it! Now, if you login as yourself, your mail will be
there for you to read, and if your friend logs in as himself, his mails will
be there for him.

> I want to achieve the same thing in Linux. I hope this can be done without
> having to change the login / reconnecting.

I repeat, it is better to create user accounts for you and your friend, and
leave the root account only for system maintanence.

> BTW I do not mind using a non - GUI mail reader if it can do whatever is
> required.

You don't have to.

Binand

PS: All the above (especially the procmail stuff) are written on the fly.
Please test them before using them.

PPS: If I have missed out something, will someone please point it out?
--
#include <stdio.h>                                   | Binand Raj S.
char *p = "#include <stdio.h>%cchar *p = %c%s%c;     | This is a self-