Re: [LI] Newsgroup client on Linux

Girish Kamath forced the electrons to say:
> Hi All,
>
> Can any one tell me some newsgroup clients on Linux - Debian 2.0
>
> I know there are newsgroup clients in RedHat 6.0 like "nntpget",
> "slrn", "trn" etc. Any one can correct me if Iam wrong.

My favourite client is slrn. It has got an extremely good killfile feature,
which you will require if you follow newsgroups regularly. If you don't have
slrn on your system, you can download it and compile (You will need the slang
library for this).

Other popular text mode clients are tin and trn. Pine has also got limited
NNTP support.

> Also what is the configuration required in my Debian PC's
> to download messages from newsgroups.

You need to have an NNTP server. news.vsnl.net.in is the one I use, but it
occassionally has problems. Most news clients look in NNTPSERVER in the
environment.

There are many web sites that allow you to follow newsgroups. Try www.deja.com
and www.news2web.com.

Binand

--
#include <stdio.h>                                   | Binand Raj S.
char *p = "#include <stdio.h>%cchar *p = %c%s%c;     | This is a self-