Re: [LI] linux/win

>         Pardon my being a little sarcastic, but looks like you do more serious
> work on Win and play on Linux (If I am right, quite a few guys at LUG do
> otherway round!).

How much I would love to do that, especially since I don't even have a machine to
call my own right now.

> Perhaps, because of your work,  you are required to
> use VB, VC++ etc.

That is becoming my job and I want to rid of it :-)

> I don't know much about Visuals, much less about C and
> C++. I don't do any developing. I am no expert on stability, portability
> etc. But I can only tell you that Linux offers lot more flexibility and
> choice. C and C++ are already there.

I have worked on those. But VISUALs are a different concept altogether. Very
different and when it comes to offices of companies doing software delevopment in
India, very relevant also.

> Lots of Integrated Developing
> Environments are available on web for free!. Oracle 8.0 is available for
> Linux!!!! Since I am not already Used to  Visual stuff, I am not tied to
> it!

Good for you.

>         I would be uncertain about both OS 'using' common disk area. I would
> allow `read' for one OS from the other but avoid `write', since that
> could meddle with FAT (I may be wrong - expert opinions please?).

That is precisely what I wanted sorted out. I have worked on Linux for some 3-4
years now for my engineering programming needs. Now I am required to
shift/partially use WIN hence the questions... nothing else1
                        To be a rock and not to roll...
                                                        -LZ/Plant