Re: [LI] trident + Xserver

>     the combination of trident SVGA card ( more than 5 years old ) with
> 0.5 MB RAM and  linux 5.2 worked without any hitch.... right after
> installation Xserver detected the card and gave a default resolution of
> 640 * 480 with 256 colors... after running xconf i was able to set the
> resolution to 800 * 600 with 256 colors... :) without any problems......
--------------------------------
Linux 5.2 !!?  I guess you mean Redhat 5.2. :-)
Yes, most Trident cards (at least those which are available in India) *do*
work well with RH 5.2
Your "more than 5 years old" card is probably Trident 8900 series, which
works even with old Slackware 3.2.
--------------------------------

>     the same expierience with S3 64+ card... but gave me a default res
> of  800 * 600 and i was able to configure it to 1024 * 768... this card
> has 2 MB RAM
--------------------------------
Yes, accepted....
--------------------------------

>     cirrus logic 5430 + 2MB RAM supported 1024 * 768 after a lot of
> trial and errors with xconf.....
--------------------------------
Nope, not acceptable.
Can you provide the details of your HW config ?
I *never* faced any problem with CL GD5430 cards with either of Slackware
(>3.2) or RH (>5.0).
In fact, a couple of years back, I remember suggesting friends bye this card
if they wanted to get X running with minimal pain.
--------------------------------

> i think i have configured all popular cards to work with xwindows
> expect sis... both 6215 and 6525 ( or some thing else ) ..... i did a
> lot of work on it including the patch at www.linux-india.org/sis  with
> no positive results....
>
> hence i again quote
>
> " dont go for SIS card if u r planning to run linux on ur system "
>
> bye
> chetu
--------------------------------
Hey, hey no point bashing Sis.
"6525" could mean you are talking about 6225PCI or 6326AGP.
As far as 6326 is concerned, since it's an AGP card, try configuring it with
XFree86(>3.3.3), because earlier XFree86 version had no support for AGP in
general (and it has nothing to do with Sis card in particular).
And with 3.3.3, things are quite smooth.
Also all problem regarding those Sis 62*5 are gone with 3.3.3.  Now they
aren't much pain.

BTW, as I'm writing this, I'm on with Redhat 6.1 installation....in another
PC.
And WOW!!, right from the beginning of the installation it starts full *hot*
X....with full GTK/Gnome based installation wizard being default and those
curses based installation going to a separate VC.. :-})

I won't go to sleep tonight....

-- Indrajit