[LI] External Mouse Attachment to a Laptop under Linux/Windows.

Aloha People,
  I have this Compaq Armada 1700 Laptop which has a mouse pad kinda thingy
on which I put my finger and navigate to use as the mouse ,... I would like
to connect an external Logitech 3-button serial mouse that I happen to have
extra... And I want this to work under Win98/2K/Linux - specifically Red Hat
6.0 .
  I did a man gpm under linux - wasnt too useful .. I didnt understand
enough of it. As for Windows.. I thought I could just connect it to the box
and re-boot and win would itself add the drivers since it was PnP ... didnt
work out. I tried adding a second mouse manually as well....didnt work
either.
  Any help on this , or atleast a pointer in the right direction would be
appreciated.
  Thanx
- Ravi.