[LI] Re:

> Security means having a secure knowledge. It is downright foolish for
> someone to think that by hiding their source code into a locker makes a
> software secure. The person who belives such crap is more naive than
> illeterate abrogenies who bury their valuable in the hope nobody will find
> them. Atleast they do not peddel their treasure.
>
> In case of software, where the binary is available for all to debug and
> hack, hiding the source code can give no security - it only allows knowledge
> to be restricted. Restricting knowledge has its great economic advantage.
> Greater the restriction more price the user is likely to pay for the
> knowledge.
>
> I strongly believe restricting knowledge, especially when it comes to an
> enabling technology like software is not only bad - it is downright
> criminal. Such restriction deprives humankind from benifit and cause more
> harm than all the criminals do. This is the precise reason why we must
> support open source software - GNU and Linux. and not for any fancy of M$
> bashing or other such selfish reason.
>
> - - Soumya
>
> > [+] ...senior executives [of Microsoft] admitted that they'd not be
> > able to make a cheaper or better [!!] product.
> >
> > [Error] ...but no one is allowed to charge money for [Linux].
>
> Actually, people *are* allowed to sell (ie. charge money) GPL-ed software.
> GPL-ed software tend to also be free (in the "zero cost" sense) software
> because, according to GPL any person 'B' acquiring the software from 'A'
> (let us say, for $ X) has the freedom to (i) get the source code along with
> the binary, (ii) Make and redistribute modifications to the source and
> (iii) share the software with C and D (including selling it).
>
> Because of this model of allowing users to share the software they just
> bought, the cost always tends towards zero.  The idea is 'B', if trying to
> compete with 'A', can sell multiple copies of the software they bought from
> 'A' for $ Y (Y <= X) hoping to make up in volume.  A natural end of this
> kind of undercutting is that price tends to zero ('C' can undercut 'B' by
> selling it for $ Z where Z <= Y <= X... ad infinitium).
>
> It was a solemn and profound moment when I understood this mechanics at
> work in the GPL.
>
> Thaths
> - --

Last time I saw a general mag. carry article about Linux was The Week
(it was pro-Linux!). I think someone should write up about Linux in a
general mag. (Outlook again - as an answer!) including the above stuff.
Also should add some more realities like GPL'ed software etc. are
thouroughly checked before putting on the Web. The Linux community
behaves in a responsible way. (This is really important since the WWW
has now got a bad reputation with all kinds of people supporting all
kinds of stuff on the internet.). Most important to mention is the
Linuxers form a `community' rather than a mere set of consumers!
Some one more knowledgable than me should write - preferably with less
jargon. Best is to follow true spirit - get portions written by many
experts who are on this list!
Ashok