RE: [LI] Outlook, PalmPilot vs. Linux

> 	Atul has a Palm Pilot (though may be an advanced one PalmPilot V?)

Nope, I am happy with my Palm III, though I admit the Palm V is snazzy
(hint, everyone ;-)

> 	Atul, how has been your experience with PalmPilot under Linux?  I
> know you do use Outlook, but what about availability of a viable
> alternative under Linux - E-mail, Calendar etc and Organiser like
PalmPilot?

Sadly, you have brought up a *VERY* sore point as far as I am concerned -
the only reason why I still have a Windows partition is because there is
*NO* equivalent to Outlook 98/2000 under Linux (or BeOS). At least not at
this point in time.

Sure, I have *no* problems synching my Palm III under Linux (or BeOS), and I
can install apps and databases and docs under Linux as easily as I can under
Windows. My data is safeguarded no matter what OS I use.

I don't even use MS Word under Linux - I use Abiword - the same that I use
under Linux and BeOS (native versions available). While I do use Excel
sometimes, I am not bound to it from the functional point of view -
StarOffice and Gnumeric happily handle my minimal Spreadsheet needs. There
are plenty of excellent presentation packages for Linux, too (I use
StarOffice). Netscape is great under Linux, and leaves me wanting nothing
for my browsing experience.

But Outlook is a powerapp I *BADLY* miss under Linux. Having *all* your
mission critical email, appointments, notes and other information available
and linkable, stored in a single (quickly transportable) database is a major
productivity booster for me.

This afternoon I was discussing with my partner Kishore Bhargava about this,
and I'll repeat what I said to him - the day someone brings out an app that
works like Outlook (free, commercial, I don't care) under Linux - that's the
day many people will switch to Linux for good.

Atul