[LI] Authentication problems

Hi everyone,

DOT has installed a router in our area (Trichur, Kerala) which uses PAP
authentication.

While connecting from a Win95 machine, there is hardly any problem getting
authentication.

But connecting to this router from our Linux machine is not always
successful.

I am able to connect at times from Linux with the dialer kppp.
But at other times the connection terminates with the following
message recorded in /var/log/messages

Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
LCP timeout sending Config-requests

I try connecting with a script and receive a series of send messages
like the once below before the line terminates.

<accomp>]
LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

While calling the router with  scripts I use

- -detach
name abdul

in /etc/ppp/options
and have a pap-secrets file with the following entry

abdul	*		mypassword

pppd is called with

pppd debug lock crtscts modem /dev/ttyS1 38400 connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

I would be most grateful if someone could advice me what could be wrong.
Connecting to  the router at Cochin with scripts from the Linux machine,
is no problem at all.

Cordially,

A. Abdul Hazeeb