Re: [LI] samba help reqd!!!

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Kalpesh Patel wrote:

- ->Hi,
- ->  I am trying to configure samba on a network having win95 and winNT
- ->machines. I am able to login from the '95 machines by giving my Linux
- ->username and passwd ( the domain is the one specified in the smb.cfg ).
- ->But from NT it is not allowing any login. I want that my Linux box
- ->should act as an NT server and provide logon services. I have removed
- ->the PDC from the network for trying out the above...
- ->Can we do it without an existing PDC??
- ->Where can i get information about the same ???
- ->And what is this about the free internet connections???

If you are using SP3 or later NT uses encrypted passwords.  You can
either enable them in samba in the /etc/smb.conf file, or disable
encrypted passwords in NT, by editing the config through regedit.
Use the following procedure while doing regedit.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters]
"EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001