Re: [LI] Re: [free internet connection]

Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:

> Jeffrey Yep proclaimed:
> > Me too! What the heck I would love to have one of them. Its a netcitizens
> > dream come true in India! I know they've started in US and UK but if they do
> > it in India then I'd say we are progressing!
>
> In the Capitalist economy nothing comes free.  The "free" internet access
> thing going on in UK is merely free in perception.  The ISP gets a share of
> the per-minute charges from the telco.  The business model being if people
> perceive internet access to be free, they are going to spend more time
> online.  Meaning they pay the telco more money in per-minute telco
> charges.  The telco then passes a cut of this on to the ISP.

In india even this means a lot.
We have to pay for minimum 100 hrs of time. Plus there is lot of hassle
of filing forms and making demand draft. Initially the service is good
but when number of user increases it becomes worst.
I tried to push this idea (per minute charge on tel line instead of
fixed hour charges) to DOT but could not go beyond their fat heads

- -mukund
http://members.theglobe.com/betacomp/index.htm
http://members.xoom.com/BETACOMP/index1.htm