Re: [LI] Sendmail vs. MS Exchg

Dear Upender,

We used both NT and Sendmail in the past but after the evaluation period it
was very clear in simple text that sendmail was the right choice, apart from
money, the need to have a full time administrator was >/dev/null which is
what one wants in an organisation. We have close to 100 users using this
setup from home and acrosss borders and everyone is happy.
NT Ms Exchange server is typical - needs reboot on and off - hence downtime,
plus sendmail gives you the freedom of knowing whats happenning which is
important if you want to find out why your mail delivery fails / hangs.
Above all you can try out features without disrupting the whole system (in
MSE you need a 3 finger salute often) plus Msexchange + proxy on a nt server
are not made for each other (check out documentation from Ms only) so that
means an additional ms server in the network (=Rs).

Our global sites use the same config as ours with Sendmail and Linux (in
fact we have 3 internal mail servers for each deptt. sending of email to the
mail server from where it is sent out).

Definitely it needs patience to get everything up and running but you have
the ILUG and tons of users who will guide you when needed.  Perhaps for
dialin it is easier using NT-RAS ( dont ask me how to manage that on Linux
as never got the time - hey in response to my last email I already have the
howto for this available) but on the whole once up and running you will
never get nightmares about it ( which means you can take a vacation without
your beeper going out !).

I hope this gives you some Idea. There are plenty of resources on the net
for and against what you plan to do, but I give you my personal experience
in the same. hope this helps you decide.

Vishal K