[Linux-India] Re: NO SWAP! NO RAM!

On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 06:53:53PM +0530, Sachin wrote:
> Hi,
> I had recently installed RHL6.0 (chip CD). I had made the partition 1GB
> linux native and 40MB linux swap. I have 128 MB of RAM.
>
> 1) Running free showed only 14MB of RAM!.
> I found in docs that inorder to use more than 64MB for RAM one has
> to  append lilo.conf with mem="128MB". But as I boot through floppy I
> didnt find the lilo.conf file. What should I do?

You don't need mem=128MB line with RH 6.0 which comes with the 2.2.x kernel.
This was necessary only for the 2.0.x kernel.

People often get misled by "free" showing small amounts of RAM. Linux
doesn't free memory lazily. If your "total" memory isn't close to 128MB,
then there is something wrong. Is that the case ?

> 2) Running free I found that there was no swap space!.
>           total  used  free
> swap  0      0        0
>
> There was no use trying "swapon -av" as the etc/fstab file contained
> no swap partition. (I had earlier made 40MB swap partition).
> Why is it so?

During the install, it should've put the right entries in /etc/fstab.
If not, you can do it yourself:

/dev/hdaX               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

where X is the partition number. Use fdisk to look at your partitions.

> 3) Where are the docs about installation/swap partitioning kept?

http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/manuals/RHL-6.0-Manual/install-guide/manual/doc013.html

	-Arun