[Linux-India] Re: Help regarding NIS

According to Sunil Sarat:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to configure a NIS server. I hope I've configured it correctly.
> Firstly I've made a master NIS server using
> ypinit -m. Then on a client machine in /etc/ypconf, I've specified the
> correct nis domain and nis server name. Also, I've verified that ypserv,
> ypbind are running on server and client. I've followed exactly as specified
> in the NIS-HOWTO.
> Now what I wanted to know is what modifications should I make to the
> password file(I'm not sure whether on the server or client) something like
> "+::::::::". Somebody please guide me regarding this or any pointers on the
> net are also O.K
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Sunil Sarat

Hello,
On all the client machines only + is reqd as the last line of the passwd
file , only the default accounts should be there, remove any of the user
accounts as they will be in the NIS maps, it is advisable to create one
local account for the administrator other then root as when there is a
probllem with ypbind or picking the maps you can atleast login at the
console and debug the problem.
nps

- --