Internal 33.6KBPS modem...

I have a Compaq machine. It came with an internal modem make "Compaq
Presario 336 DF upgradable to 55K". I tried using kppp to connect to dial
in. It is not detectecting the modem. The error message which appears is
"Modem is Busy".

Win95 setting shows the modem is on COM2 port. So in Linux I tried selecting
the all the ports. I know com2 corresponds to cua1, or ttsy1. No luck at
both ports, also tried selecting different speeds from 9600 to 115200. No
luck same message.

Is there any other procedure for connecting to the internet through the same
modem??.

I connected an external modem to my computer (com2 port selecting cua1 and
ttsy1) and it worked I could connect with kppp. I could connect to the
internet and visit various sites. So I dont think there is any problems with
any settings/scripts in Linux.